In this training episode, Liu Yi mainly explained basics of sidecutting. For more information, check out this tutorial episode.
Click on me to watch video tutorial
In order to meet needs of felling enthusiasts, Pingpong.com has launched a series of "Learning to Chop from Scratch" tutorials led by Liu Yi, a former national felling team player.
Liu Yi has already introduced us to three ways of cutting a ball: slow cutting, fast cutting and side cutting. Today I will focus on explaining third method of cutting ball - side cutting. Let's look at essence of the action.
1. Basic Actions
(1) Quote: The quotation shouldn't be too tall, it can be moved a little further to side.
(2) Point of impact: The point of impact must be in fall period.
(3) Direction of force: The force is directed mostly sideways, rubbing against side of ball from left to right.
(4) Racquet Grip: Grip is similar to backhand twist, which tends to be sharper on backhand, which can rub side of ball better.
(5) Center of Gravity: Use your body more than just your arms.
Second, purpose of side trim
Twist ball with a little lateral rotation to move to opponent's position on right, change line and ball's landing point, and ball will deflect to side after hitting ground.
Ping-pong network organized by Liu Baosheng
November 08, 2023